Sunday 23 November 2014

France Papillion Workshop!

Hello - been a little while since I've blogged but today I went to a workshop so I wanted to share what I learned.

The workshop was with France Papillion - organised by the lovely Sue Tucker. France did three workshops over the weekend but the one I attended was called Art Jouranlling - Try Out And Let Go.

Art journaling is very very new to me but something I've always wanted to have a proper go at but I was never quite sure exactly where to start.

Well France was just so lovely, so easy going and funny. I was sitting with my wonderful friend Emma ( aka pink sparkle girl) and also Annette who teaches classes I attend and another lady I hadn't met before called Rebecca.

We started the day with a blank Dyan Reaverley journal - the smaller one, I think it's A5?

Our first lesson was learning what different mediums and various types of art materials do and how they make a difference to the look of your page.

So we tried out various different colours of gesso, then used different colouring techniques - the ones I tried here are pan pastels, dylusions sprays, colour bloom sprays and the luminarte silk paints:

Then we had a go with some of the new Finn products like her crackle paste, gel mediums, art sugar, glitter etc along with some primary pigments too:

Next we made our first real pages - but we had to work as a table, all taking turns to choose the next layer. I found this part so difficult! But the four of us got on really well and all our pages looked totally different. France was very complimentary about our table and said we seemed to work very well together. Here are my pages, I used Paperartsy Frescos, modelling paste, various stamps and stencils, glassine paper, plaster bandage stuff and some of Finns mechanicals which France had rusted for us - probably other things in there too but I've forgotten already!

Next up was a page made with prompts from France. It was based on Tim Holtlz tissue paper, silks, stamping, a doily, book pages, dylusions.....

Last but not least was our final pages, which France made us do in silence with some background music. We had to create pages which represented what we had learned during the day. This was soooo hard! I just didn't know where to start.....but eventually I got going. My pages are based on silks and I used various stencils, distress ink, book pages, modelling paste coloured with primary pigments, various stamps, the rusted mechanicals and some net type stuff:

I won a prize from Sue in the morning:

And bought myself a few goodies from Sues shop too, well it would have been rude not too!

So loads and loads of photos for you but it was a fabulous day and I would love to do another France workshop!!

Thanks must go to Sue for organising it all :-)

Claire xx

 

8 comments:

  1. oh it does look fun - love all your pages, Claire!! Hope to see you at another class - would love to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab post Claire, loving all your photos, thank you for sharing. Certainly looks like you had a good time and by the sounds of it you were challenged at some points in the day. I do love your technical terms, net stuff and plaster bandage stuff - hehehehe!!

    Love your green to purple page and those large diamonds looks fabulous.

    Hope this has kick started you into your journalling and hope to see many more fabulous pages.

    Hopefully I can join you on the next class.

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is really exciting stuff Claire. Thanks for showing us. Does sound a bit daunting at the end but you did brilliantly! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful day, Claire, wish I'd been there!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had an amazing adventure in AJ land, so many stunning backgrounds. I'm really envious as France is such a wonderful artist and so inspiring x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed your day Claire, your pages are fantastic. Love your experiments and your name for scrim is brilliant lol. You have used my favourite stencil it is glorious and works on so many projects, i think it is one of France's favourites.

    Thank you for sharing your day and your journalling, hope you go on to make some wonderful pages that you can share with us here on your blog :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you've done here, Claire! It's all so beautiful, vivid and 'different'. It looks like it must have been a great class! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am so sad we didn't get to say hello - maybe next time! Love what you created through the day - even the pages of product experimenting look beautiful. Love your "table" page (I found that hard to impossible, and got very grumpy!!), and the silent piece from the end of the day (I was sorry to miss that - I'm a quiet crafter myself). Beautiful work.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete